Sunday, July 13, 2008

Vegetarian Diet/Lifestyle - Review

I was a vegetarian for 1.5 years, well not a full blown vegetarian I did eat some fish. It was the perfect lifestyle for me with high bad cholesterol and low good cholesterol. The first year I also cut out drinking soda. I must say that I recently before becoming a vegetarian I did the Atkins diet and the first month and a half I also did the Cinch inch loss plan. Becoming a vegetarian was more for cholesterol reasons and it didn't hurt matters that the environmental damage from the large amount of animals meant for consumption causing issues for the planet.
I really didn't find being a vegetarian that difficult. Everywhere I went there were always options for vegetarians. Although that may have been because I did eat fish. I did find all the Boca burgers and all the imitation brats, hot dogs and hamburgers were awful. Tofu is good. Tofu takes the flavor or whatever seasoning it is cooked in and is good mixed with other foods in the amount that you would put as a topping on a salad.
I come from a real meat and potatoes background and used to refer to salad as the food you feed the food I eat but there are a lot of great vegetarian meals and so ofter meat is added to foods when it doesn't really make the food taste better. It also seemed like my tastes changed over time and starting liking broccoli and other veggies.
About 6 moths before I stopped being a vegetarian I started drinking soda again. At that point I had lost about 18 lbs. but started gaining weight when I started drinking soda and I also was a big fan of pasta and pizza along with the constant IV of ranch dressing hooked up to my arm didn't help with my weight.
The biggest downside to vegetarianism isn't the lifestyle or cravings its family and friends. When I told friends I was now a vegetarian they looked at me like I was the Anti-Christ. Most of the people I told always asked the barrage of questions that they tried to tell me how wrong I was and how right they were. They wanted to turn it in to some argument like religious debate between an Atheist and a born again christian. There is nothing wrong with being a vegetarian but some people are deeply offended. After awhile I stopped telling people and just told them I wasn't hungry or just ate what veggies were available followed by a stop on the way home at McDonald's for a salad, by the way McDonald's doesn't offer a plain salad they feel they have to put some meat on everyone. Then you ask for no meat and then they still put the meat on and you sit there hungry from missing a meal and hours later picking of little chicken pieces from your salad, but I am going off track.
Another complaint people have with being a vegetarian is that they say you won't get all the protein you need but I was in a unique position. I donate plasma twice per week which is when your blood is drawn out from your body and the plasma is separated from the red blood cells and the red blood cells are returned to you and they keep the plasma for research or to help people with certain blood disorders. When I go in they check your protein levels and I never was anywhere close to having low protein levels. As Americans we feel we have to eat so much protein but you really don't need much at all. I do think large amounts of protein is good though especially when dieting but tofu, nuts and many other foods have high protein levels.
Below are the reviews I have given for the vegetarian lifestyle but it is a bit misleading because there are different reasons to become a vegetarian and I really reviewed it as a diet, so please keep that in mind.








Please leave your comments of your experience with being a vegetarian.
Best Regards,
Mike

Perfect Circle Remedies, LLC
Perfect Circle Community

No comments: